Thursday, November 11, 2010

Opening Celebration


This is huge for me and I am so excited. My first opening, all of my work will be hanging by itself. No other artists! Viewers won't have anything else to look at if they aren't interested in my work. There won't be anyone to compete for customers attention. This is scary and exciting at the same time.

It's kind of like that moment when you sink or swim, _____ or get off the pot right? It's not like I haven't been in a situation like this before. I know when I went to WWU as a single mom of 4 at the age of 34 I felt similar. Is everyone staring at me? What are you looking at. I'm not good enough to be here. Damn, I belong here. I can think of so many times in my life where the contrary feelings and thoughts try to overwhelm me. What I do know is that no matter what, it'll all be ok. Someone will like my work, and someone else won't get it. That's alright. It's not why I paint anyway.

I had no intention for this post to get philosophical, just like my idea of my life at almost 40 didn't look like this! There are so many twists and turns and huge hills to climb for everyone. I pictured my self as a professional career woman, maybe in medicine or advertising, working in some big town firm. Nope, not what happened...... and that's ok.
I wouldn't trade my middle school teaching, mother of 4, momma taxi, volleyball coaching, crazy, wild, dorky life for anything. I get to laugh (and cry) with my kids, be with my family, and get my art nerd on. Who could ask for anything more?

Sometimes, when I do ask for more...like cooperation from a tyrant, a winning lottery ticket, more time in the day, or a nap. Papa listens to my sad story and says- don't worry, you always make it work somehow. You'll be fine, your kids will be fine.

Our original intents may be vastly different from the final outcome, but I do believe there is a purpose. I am going to put my work out there in the best way that I can for where I am now. I'm sure I'll forget something, be a dork, drip down my shirt, put my foot in my mouth, you name it. I'm also sure that I will learn something new with each experience!

So Liam, watch out. The whole family is coming down Dec 12th to Nucleus. The fliers are ready. I'm sharing the event with all my friends. HERE WE COME!

Nucleus Salon
621 Queen Anne Ave. N
Seattle, WA

4 comments:

  1. I'm so happy for you. This is a very exciting step! You'll do great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks so much tammi! excited and nervous too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is SUPER, jody! congratulations - wish i could be there to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks aimee... i just got my copy of the latest sommerset. way cool to get published! CONGRATS!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...